Frequently Asked Questions: Students

How is the Undergraduate Code of Conduct different from the Honor Code? The Code addresses behavioral expectations relating to non-academic conduct. This includes behavior such as consumption or possession of alcohol, drugs or other substances. It also can include harassment, intimidation and physical harm (for a full list of prohibited conduct please review the Code.
Academic misconduct such as plagiarism, or cheating on a test or exam are handled under the rules of the college or school in which the student is enrolled.  These rules are typically codified as an Honor Code.  Emory College of Arts and Sciences, the Goizueta Business School and the Woodruff School of Nursing each have their own Honor Codes which apply to undergraduates enrolled in their programs.
Students are expected to know and abide by the Undergraduate Code of Conduct and their college or school's Honor Code, as well as any other university policies that may apply to them (such as the Residence Life & Housing Standards and Policies for students living in on-campus housing).

I was written up by my RA. What happens now? Incident reports are reviewed by the Director of Student Conduct. If he feels the report alleges misconduct then she may assign it to a conduct officer or other hearing body for review. If this happens you will receive an email from the Office of Student Conduct notifying you of the alleged violation and to whom your case has been assigned. The process typically takes 1-2 business days. If it has been longer than that you can call our office to inquire.

I heard about medical amnesty. What is that? Medical amnesty is meant to encourage students to seek help in the event of an alcohol or drug-related emergency. If you are concerned about yourself or a friend your first priority should be to get help. By doing so you may be eligible for medical amnesty, which is a process that is separate from conduct.

My friend met with a conduct officer. Why am I meeting with the Peer Review Board? The Director of Student Conduct determines whether a report is reviewed by a conduct officer or the Peer Review Board based on several factors, including the nature of the violation and conduct history of the student.

I have to meet with a conduct officer. What should I expect? Your conduct officer will explain the process to you. He or she will want to understand your perspective on what happened. Your officer will ask you questions and try to understand the incident based both on the written report and your perspective. If the officer believes you violated the Code, you will decide to accept responsibility or proceed to a formal hearing.

I have to meet with the Peer Review Board. What should I expect? The Peer Review Board is a group of all students with a staff adviser. You will be asked to give your perspective on the incident, and then the board members will ask you questions. The board then determines if you are responsible for violating the Code and if so, what sanctions to recommend.

If I violated the Code what will happen? You will be assigned sanctions. Sanctions primarily educational and may include activities like writing a paper, attending a program, or community service. Emory does not have mandatory sanctions - each case is decided based on its own merit. In some serious cases sanctions may include probation or even suspension.

I don't agree with the decision made in my case. What can I do? You have the right to appeal a decision if you believe the process was not followed, the Code was incorrectly interpreted or the sanctions applied were inappropriate. There is a 7 day time limit to file an appeal. The Code includes specific information on how to appeal.

Will this go on my record? Your educational record includes any disciplinary violations. Conduct records are kept in the Office of Student Conduct and are maintained in accordance with the University's policy on the confidentiality and release of information about students. Conduct records are generally not released outside of the university without signed, written consent.

Do I need to disclose my conduct record on my professional school, graduate school or other application? Honesty is the best policy. Any of these programs may request your consent to obtain your disciplinary record. Omitting information that is later discovered during a routine check can have harsh consequences. The final decision about how to use that information is up to the program to which you are applying. You can read more about disciplinary records and post-undergraduate admissions here.

I want to file a complaint against a student.  What do I do? If you would like to report an allegation of misconduct please contact us. You can submit an online report, email us at, or call our office (404.727.3154). If you're unsure how to proceed please call; we can listen to your concern, explain the conduct process, help you review your options and if necessary assist you with filing a formal complaint.

What if I feel I am a victim in an incident? If you feel a violation of the Undergraduate Code of Conduct has occurred against you, please contact the Office of Student Conduct for assistance. If you feel your immediate safety is in jeopardy contact the Emory Police Department or your local law enforcement by dialing 911.